Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Obsidianby by Jennifer L Armentrout | Book Review

Leave a Comment

ISBN: 1620610078 (ISBN13: 9781620610077)
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Romance
Published: May 8th, 2012



After her father's death Kathy Swartz and her mom decided to move out and start anew. As her mom convince her to go out of her shell and "make an effort" to make friends with their new neighbors. Little did she knows that this will change her life forever.
Meeting Daemon Black makes her regret taking such effort. He is a perfect description of the term, "All kinds of arrogant and all kinds of hot".
"For a moment, all I could do was stare at him. He was probably the hottest guy I'd ever seen in real life, and he was a total douche. Go Figure. "You know, all I wanted was directions. This is obviously a bad time." One side of his lips curled up. "Anytime is a bad time for you come knocking on my door, kid."
"Kid?" I repeated, eyes widening.
A dark, mocking eyebrow arched again. I was starting to hate that brow.
"I'm not a kid. I'm seventeen." 
"is that so? He blinked. "You look like you're twelve. No. Maybe thirteen, but my sister has this doll that kinda reminds me of you. All big eyed and vacant."
If that doesn't mess up things between them already. Daemon being the over-protective brother with his twin sister, Dee who became her instant BFF added more fuel to their cat-dog fight. Something with the "I don't like you being friends with my sister" and "Kicking puppies".
"Daemon was hot, but he was a jerk. A bully. And I'd meant what I said to Dee. He wasn't going to scare me off from being friends with his sister. He'd just have to deal with it. I was here to stay."
Series of accidents and sometimes unexplained incidents happened to Kathy and as she got much closer to Dee, she met other family members, whom like Daemon, treated her like she is some kind of terrorist or something. Kathy knew and didn't really took long to notice that something is different about them, something not normal.

Add it up with some perplexing mix of emotions Daemon throws at her.

Warm...
"Come on. Please don't tell you don't think you're pretty." he considered my silence. "no guys has ever said you're pretty?" "Or...maybe you're not aware of it?"
"You know what I've always believed?" he said softly. "I've always found that the most beautiful people, truly beautiful inside out, are the ones who are quietly unaware of their effect."His eyes searched mine intently, and for a moment we stood there toe to toe.
Then cold...
Daemon lost his smile and stare. "I'm never happy around you."
Warm...
Confusion flashed in his eyes as he leaned forward, his lips parting slightly. "I think I understand now." "Understand what?" I whispered. "I like to watch you blush." His voice barely above murmur as his thumb traced circles on my cheek. 
Then cold again.
"Actually I was being serious." He leaned over the table, staring up at me through thick lashes. "You're not wanted here."
One unexpected night, when Daemon saved her life for the third time made her discover, his true identity. Kathy realizes that normal teenage troubles isn't the main problem here, She'll find herself in a middle of an old age war between Daemon's kind and their worst enemy not to mention the DOD - Department of Defense who seems to offer unknown threat. Anxiety builds up more and more, having to realize that she needs to stick around with Daemon in order to save her life and not risk the safety of Daemon's family.


"Beautiful face, beautiful body, horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of bad boys." -Kathy
I've been browsing Goodreads for a 4.00 - 5.00 star rating and found this one. The guy staring at you with his electric green eyes on the cover, intrigue me. I mean the model looked hot, right?
Well, me being me don't usually read back cover teaser, I like my book to be thrilling enough to surprise me in every way they can, but I do look at the genre and the "Alien" genre, isn't really my kind of deal. The word alien usually fill my head with the creepy huge head and eyes and insanely thin body. I was turned off at first, but I'm glad that I did give this book a chance.
There was so many speculations about how the plot resembles to Twilight Saga, you know the...
  • New girl in school living with
  • Single parent
  • Ridiculously handsome/beautiful but super isolated/weird family
  • One family member became your bff and
  • The other became your love interest and
  • Not all family members agrees with that and
  • How they sparkle... uhm, actually not really but they do glow like a human size firefly if they wanted to.
I honestly didn't realize their comparison at all, I guess it was because I've read twilight years ago but it was mainly because I was so caught up with Kathy and Daemon's love/hate relationship thrill ride. The book is funny, a bit cheesy (in a good way), sexy. Kathy isn't a pushover, and I love the fact that she isn't the usual damsel in distress, without a doubt a strong heroine. Not the kind that would die in the absence of Daemon.
“My palms itched to have a close encounter of the bitch-slap kind with his face.”  -Kathy
Plus, if you have a thing for bad boys who could sweetly fall head over heels, which I know I do, then you'll agree with me. Daemon is sooooo much awesome and hotter than Edward and Jacob combine. Similarities and all, I don't care... knowing Daemon alone.. is definitely worth it.
If she was mine, I'd cherish every inch of her. And I wanted to. Now”  - Daemon

Rating:  4 stars
Plot: Somewhat familiar
Page Turner: Not much
Continued?: Yes.
Recommended: Yes.
Book Boyfriend: I'm sooo yours Daemon. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment